PharmD Info

A forum for Indian Pharmacy Professionals

Are you a Clinical Pharmacist? Join Clinical Pharmacist Forum to discuss various clinical pharmacy services, clinical pharmacist jobs, and your experiences.
Forum rules: The material, content provided by this forum is for informational purpose only and is not intended for substitute to medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. General rules are applicable for this forum- Find Here
Calculating Pharmacoeconomics HALYs DALYs QALYs using Different Formulas

Health-adjusted life years (HALYs) are population health measures permitting morbidity and mortality to be simultaneously described within a single number. They are useful for overall estimates of burden of disease, comparisons of the relative impact of specific illnesses and conditions on communities, and in economic analyses.

HALY = YERF + YLL.

YERF=Year Equivalents of life lost due to Reduced Functioning

Calculating YERF== I * (1-P) * D

where I = incident cases
P = preference score
D = average duration

YLL = N x L, where N = number of deaths due to condition, L = standard life expectancy at age of death (expectancy - age at death)

Quality-adjusted life years (QALYs) and disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) are types of HALYs whose original purposes were at variance.

QALY= Y*Q

Y= Life expectancy of individual for Chronic Disease or Duration of Intervention for acute disease.

Q= Q Weight Scaled from Q=0 to Q=1.0 ( Full Health)

DALY= YLL+YLD

YLD = I x DW x L In this formula I = number of incident cases in the population, DW = disability weight of specific condition, and L = average duration of the case until remission or death (years).

YLL = N x L, where N = number of deaths due to condition, L = standard life expectancy at age of death (expectancy - age at death)

Related Abbreviations:

Health Adjusted Life Expectancy (HALE)
Disability Adjusted Life Expectancy (DALE)
Disability Free Life Expectancy (DFLE)
Last bumped by Admin on 04 May 2017, 15:12.

In the dynamic world of pharmaceuticals, mergers a[…]

PharmD Info - Highlights